Labels

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Maria

My Taiwanese landlord is no longer the one to blame for me being mistaken as "Maria," but rather it is my own inability to say my own name. I realized this today after leaving a message for my career counselor and getting a call back from the same counselor who was looking for someone by the name of "Maria." Fantastic (spoken in very sarcastic tone). My old inside joke with Trent, who occasionally will call me Mar-ee-ah, has now become the painful reminder that I am in dyer need of those speech lessons that I never received as a child.

3 comments:

JAG said...

Ok. That is too funny! But in your defense, people aren't expecting to hear the name "Amelia". Maria is much too common now that those South of the border have migrated North...

Amelia said...

good point, thanks for making me feel a little better about my speech impediments :)

Amanda said...

I think you actually did take speech lessons...maybe not as long me but either way we must be cursed...if people ask for my name, I either have to say it twice or I nod at "Amy" and let it be:)