Labels

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Our Snowshoing Adventure

This morning Trent and I went up to Brighton to do a little hiking on the mountain. We knew it was going to be a beautiful day and we wanted to be outside so that we could enjoy the sun that we have missed for a very long seven months. We packed light: we wore our swimsuits (and snow shoes) and brought a camelback filled with cold water, cell phones, car keys, and plastic bags for sledding. This is us with all our gear: (note- we didn't bring a camera, the pictures were taken with the cellphone)We started our trek around noon and it took us about an hour and 15 minutes to reach the summit, we walked around the top a little then we sledded down a steep powdery slope.
Trent was expecting a call from a Dentist so when his phone rang we stopped for him to answer the phone. We sledded down a few more slopes and ran/jumped down the rest of the mountain. Here is me sledding down a wimpy slope:

(if the video didn't work, try this)

We finally reached the bottom of the mountain around 3:00 but weren't ready to leave so we laid out in the sun for half an hour. As we headed back to our car we realized we didn't have our keys. They were supposed to be in the backpack with our plastic bags and cell phones, but we knew we had taken out the plastic bags multiple times and the cell phone once on our way down the mountain. Our keys could have been anywhere! Trent took off up the mountain and I followed but shortly after felt my efforts were more efficiently spent praying and coming up with alternate plans in case Trent couldn't find the keys. Trent followed our tracks 3/4 of the way back up the mountain stopping in each spot where we took things out of the bag before he found the keys! He found them where he took everything out of his bag to answer the important phone call. This is Trent running down the mountain with the keys- we were so excited!It ended up being a very fun and entertaining adventure. We got lots of sun and burned lots of calories. We went to dinner with Trent's dad afterward at his favorite spot- Sweet Tomatoes. So much for burning all those calories.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

SO, I guess you could really use your camera's mem card?? Well, sorry about that, but lucky for you I actually did put it in the mail yesterday!!! I know you didn't believe me on the phone, but I did, and there is something special in the letter from Kalil (don't get too excited) but it is more than a cheerio! (though that would have been funny) Ok so maybe not... ;)

Tice said...

You snowshoe in your swimsuit? Color me confused. Apparently I know nothing about snow sports.

Amelia said...

amanda- I am excited to get my package!! What could Kalil have added to it?? That is what I will be wondering all day...
tice- I know, weird. usually its too cold to wear your swimsuit, but it was really warm Monday. It would have been uncomfortably hot if we hiked in much more clothes.

natalie said...

@ Tice- If girl gots it, girl flaunts it!

Kim said...

I love this story! How wild that he actually found the keys in all that snow! I wish we lived somewhere we could just go sledding and hiking up a mountain any time we wanted!

The Tabot Fam said...

whoa! Nightmare avoided. thank heavens! Te things a Floridian will do to get sun in Utah! =]