Labels

Monday, February 6, 2012

TJ's Twentieth Month

TJ's turned twenty months old today! In preparation for becoming a big brother and no longer the baby of the house, TJ decided to do a little growing up this month, and said "bye bye" to diapers. He has been interested in sitting on the potty (and actually doing a number or two) for a few months now. His interest peaked just before MLK Jr. day, so I did a quick search on babycenter.com and decided to go with the first method I found- potty training in three days. Trent was able to help over the long three day weekend, and it all went very well. TJ did lots of this:
And Trent and I did our fair share of cleaning up of small accidents (thank goodness for tile floors), lots of rushing TJ to the bathroom, and plenty of celebration dancing and cheering for TJ's hits in the potty. After the three days were up, we hesitantly labeled TJ "potty trained" and nervously took him out in public with just his big boy underwear on. We anticipated accidents, but it has been three weeks now and TJ has yet to disappoint- no accidents away from home (except for that one time at the Sirman's house- Sorry Stace!!)

TJ's favorite part of the potty training weekend was running around the house without clothes on. And the awesome celebration dancing, of course.

One of TJ's first outings in underwear was to the local museum. It was actually his first public restroom experience, and despite the fact that public restrooms are disgusting, it went very well. Thankfully TJ isn't afraid of public restrooms like his mama.

TJ checking out the butterflies through the glass window. Because we're too cheap to pay the eight dollar admission to go inside :)

Smile and look normal. Fail.

Rylee and Warner were such big helpers throughout the museum. They picked TJ up when he couldn't see for himself...

Made sure he didn't fall off the high stools...

And kept a tight rein on that monkey tail.

We had a blast at the museum. I am so glad Alex and Brittany stopped by with the kids to play for the day.

TJ eating his lunch out back. I should have taken more pictures this month of TJ playing outside. With all the nice weather we have been having, the backyard is where we like to play, especially with our new sandbox, blackboard, and hammock.

Our little "lettuce head" enjoying lunch with Daddy at Crispers. TJ actually hates lettuce, but if he wears this over sized "lettuce head" shirt, he gets his meal for a buck.

A fun trip to the library with Kim, Julian, and Ella Grace, turned out to be even more fun after locking TJ in the car. I checked with my mom and sister and they confirmed that I am The Best. Mom. Ever. They have two and four times as many kids as me and have never done this. And my kid is only twenty months old!! Thank goodness for Kim for having a cell phone to call all the firemen, who rushed to the scene...

pried open the door...

and saved TJ from having too much fun while being locked in the car. In the short 10 minutes or so that he was locked in, he managed to climb into the front seat, find deodorant and lotion, and make a mess of it on the seats and windows of the car. I may have shed a tear or two in the drama of it all, but TJ definitely did not. And at the end of the day, my car smelt amazing.

We made a spur of the moment decision to go to Dudley's Farm last weekend. Here is a picture of Trent helping TJ balance and walk along a log.

Trent, TJ, and the monkey walking down the path to see some horses plow a field.

We lucked out because it just so happened to be "Plow Day" on the farm. It was actually quite interesting to see how horses used to plow fields back in the day.

TJ enjoyed trying to pump water from this well, but the well just about pumped him. He's not quite old enough to be put to work on the farm.
But we do put him to work at home. He still loves to be right in the middle of what we are doing, which is sometimes helpful, other times, not as much. With all these last minute projects before baby girl arrives, TJ is one happy little helper, but the projects are a bit longer and more drawn out for me. However, the "To Do" list is getting shorter and we are hoping TJ will be a big brother VERY soon. We will keep you posted.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

I am so jealous that TJ is already potty-trained! I totally believe in early potty training because I did it with Adie and it was easy but Chase is almost a whole year older than TJ and completely resistant. I know, they all come with their own timelines. Oh, and I would cry too if I locked my kids and keys in the car. It's one of my fears, that and locking myself outside of the house while they are inside.

Aubry T Jensen said...

I love all these pictures, TJ is so adorable! I love the first one of him on the potty. That is awesome that you already have him trained. You will have to share your method with me (or at least where you found it). My goal is to have Jada potty trained by then too! Hopefully she will start showing SOME interest in the next few months.
I hope you are doing well. When is baby girl due? I know it is this month but what is the day? Could she be here any day now? I hope everything goes well. Let me know when it happens!!

Brittany said...

Love the pictures and updates as always! Congrats on the potty training! The youngest Lunt ever to be potty trained:)

Brittany said...

Oops ... the youngest Savage/Lunt.

Judy said...

He is so grown up and will be such a wonderful big brother. We can't wait.

Southern Belle said...

Holy cow! I can't believe he is already potty trained! That is so awesome! I always heard boys were harder, but it sounds like he did great and he isn't even 2 yet!! That is so nice that you will only have 1 in diapers. I am getting excited for you for your little girl to come. I can't even remember what you are naming her, but I always think of her as Jessica because I remember before you had kids you said you always wanted to name your girl Jessica, haha;)

Karen said...

How fun to see your new post. That is the cutest picture of TJ on the potty. He is such a funny kid....He is just like you Amelia....I am waiting by the phone for that phone call. Just give me one more day to work and I will be packed and ready to come when you call! Can't wait to see TJ's new sister, Kayla.