Labels

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Baby Girl Savage has Arrived

Our sweet baby, Ayla Rose Savage, was born just one week ago.



Here is her story:

The Short Version

Friday
8:00 pm: Grandma Kaeme arrives to Gainesville to watch TJ
11:00 pm: Mom and Dad head to the hospital
11:30 pm: Mom is admitted to hospital with a cervical dilation of 5.5 cm
Saturday
12:00 am: Mom is given a very large dosage of epidural narcotics
2:35 am: Mom is given the okay to push
2:41 am: Ayla is born

7 pounds 4 ounces, 19.5 inches long

The Very Long Version (A mother's perspective)

It was the week of Ayla's due date and I was torn- I wanted my baby to come early, but my mom, Karen, had obligations at work until Friday and wouldn't be able to come down to help with TJ until then. Sure enough, my mom arrived around 8:00 pm on Friday and within a few hours of her arrival I was having contractions and Trent and I were headed to the hospital. My contractions were not super regular, about five minutes apart and manageable, and I was scared that maybe the hospital would send me home. But triage checked me and said that I was dilated 5.5 cm and that I could stay.
I immediately asked for an epidural. Within the hour, the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist were in my room and I was ready for the contractions to magically go away, as they did with TJ. I was ready to take a nice long nap. But for some reason the epidural didn't work the same as it did with TJ. The nurse kept telling me, "this is going to be the last contraction you feel." But I continued to feel hard contractions, one after the other. So the nurse anesthetist administered more drugs through the epidural. I still felt the contractions. The anesthetist continued to give me more and more medicine, until eventually it felt like elephants were sitting on my legs- they were so numb yet heavy, as if they were glued to the table. But I still felt the contractions. No naps for me.
Eventually the contractions did ease up, but then I got the shivers. My whole body was shaking uncontrollably, making my bed clank against the wall. haha. I laugh about it now but at the time it really freaked me out because I could not stop shaking. I think maybe I was given a bit too much epidural- the nurse said it totaled 22 ccs, about twice the normal initial dosage. There was only one doctor at the hospital and no midwives. There were SIX of us in labor. I was the sixth in line, so I had to wait my turn. When the doctor came into my room at 2:35 am, I pushed for five minutes and that was that. Thanks to those 22 ccs, I didn't feel a thing.

The doctor cut the umbilical cord and handed her over to the nurse to clean her up. As Trent and I watched, we both thought she looked just like TJ.

Later that morning my mom brought TJ to the hospital to meet his new baby sister. He jumped up on my bed and saw the baby and then saw a half eaten banana on the side table. He asked for it, but instead of shoving it in his mouth like I suspected he would, he pressed it to Ayla's lips. He is the best sharer I know. I have no doubt he will be a good big brother to Ayla.

We stayed one night at the hospital, then took our new baby girl home.

She has been such a good, sweet baby. Doing all the things she should: eat, poop, pee and sleep. She has had no problems with breast feeding but I have had some pain so I mix in an occasionally pump and give her my milk through the bottle. Look at those tiny little legs. She is so itty bitty.

She doesn't cry much at all. But when she does, she screams. Look at that tiny little dimple by her mouth, I love it.


But this is what she does best. She sleeps for 3-4 hours then wakes up to eat and have her diaper changed. She repeats this cycle all day and night long.
We are head-over-heels in love with her already.

13 comments:

Judy said...

I'm in love with her and haven't even met her yet.

B-Rett said...

I am so glad things went well and she is here safe and sound. She sounds like a sweet little girl, and what a cute story that TJ wanted to share his banana with her first thing. We can't wait to meet her, whenever that may be, but are so glad we get to at least get acquainted through pics on the phone and blog.

With Adie, I think I got a pretty strong dose of the epidural because I was already at a 9 and I went numb almost instantly (I am told that is not normal), but afterward I couldn't stop shaking for hours either.

Anyway, we hope things continue to go smoothly. We are so excited she is here and that she didn't make you wait as long as TJ did.

B-Rett said...

oops, that was supposed to be Sabrina (too lazy to sign out and back in), but I am sure he feels the same way :)

The Tabot Fam said...

Congrats! She's beautiful!

Brittany said...

So precious, Amelia! I'm glad it all went well! Can't wait to meet sweet Ayla:)

Dr. J said...

Another Savage!!! You did good.

The Reillys said...

congrats!

Southern Belle said...

Congratulations! She is so adorable of course. Cheyenne is looking at the pictures of her and says she is so little and why is she sad? She is cute, can't wait to meet her!

Karen said...

What a sweet girl to wait for me to get to Gainesville before finding her way out into this world. What a fun night that was (maybe not for you but it wasw for the rest of us) and what a joy it was for me to spend time with TJ. What he big boy he is! Youe were so smart to get him potty trained before the baby came and what a smart boy he is.

Karen said...

Oh she is so cute! Congratulations Amelia and Trent. I love the name:) I'm glad your epidural finally worked for you. Sorry about the shaking. I have that (though not from the epidural) but i know what it is like to shake uncontrollably and it is NOT fun. That's awesome that she came so quickly! Perfect!
I can't wait to come see you guys when we get out there. One of these days:) I miss having yall here.
Congrats again, she is a doll!

Claudia said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is the perfect addition to your sweet family! I CAN'T wait to meet her in June :) Now let the photo sessions begin!!

natalie said...

Congratulations! What a beauty! I'm in love with her adorable chin, by the way.

JAG said...

She's beautiful, Meals! Congratulations!