Labels

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lesson Learned

We did some laundry last week and forgot to check the pockets... now we have little blue ink spots all over everything from the colors load. There are two possible lessons to be learned from this experience- 1) Always check all pockets before throwing cloths in the wash or 2) Don't own anything nice that would tempt you to cry over it when it is ruined.

The interesting thing about lesson #1 is that I have learned that lesson plenty of times in the past, in fact, I vividly remember saying to my self (as I do every time I put in a load)- I should check these pockets, but then I noticed all 50 of the cargo pockets on some of Trent's shorts and decided to be lazy and take a chance that they were empty. Of course you know that they were not empty.

The good thing about lesson #2 is that I didn't have anything that I cared about too much from the wash, although a couple of Trent's nicer shirts were ruined. I didn't think about this lesson until the ink spotted clothes laid in piles all over our room for a week (as I tried to figure out how to salvage the clothes and which ones to attempt it on) and the home teachers came over and gave us a lesson on not worrying about the material things in life. In addition to the inked up clothes, we have had some other stuff in the recent past that we have ruined- the Brita filter, the blender jar, the top of our table, ink spill on the car seat, etc. and I am convinced that there is a definite vantage to having nothing nice- you don't have to stress over it getting ruined. Living without anything nice comes so natural to us now that we are living the poor college student life, but what about when we aren't as poor- will the advantages of having nice things out weigh the burden that they cause when they are lost? Let me think about that for a second, um, I think soooo. Okay, so scratch lesson #2. Does anyone have any ideas for removing ink from clothes and/or car seats??

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow, do I relate with this post, since I just about killed Brett's cell phone after washing it. I did check the pockets, just not thoroughly and I should know better. For lesson #2, when I was pregnant, I washed a pen which ruined a lot of our clothes, including a few new maternity clothes. I was so upset, being hormonal and all, and yes, I did cry even though they weren't the nicest of clothes.

Amanda said...

LOL, you crack me up Meals :D