Labels

Friday, January 8, 2010

Pregnancy

Yesterday I had my 20 week ultrasound and, to my relief, the previous gender results were confirmed- he’s 100% boy. I was a little hesitant to believe it the first time since we both thought it was a girl even though we really wanted our first baby to be a boy (Trent probably would be fine if the second and third etc are boys too). I think we talked ourselves into thinking it when we were coming up with all the positive aspects of having a girl. Needless to say, I feel much better now having a second confirmation that he's really a he and most importantly he developing perfectly.

I never wanted to only blog about pregnancy when I was expecting, and believe me I’m still not planning on doing that for the next 20 weeks, but it does seem to be the one thing that occupies my thoughts about 90% of the time so we will see how successful I am with blogging about something else. With that having been said, here are my thoughts on pregnancy so far.

Kicking
For the past couple weeks I *thought* I have been feeling the baby move. Since it’s my first pregnancy I don’t really know what it’s supposed to feel like. But regardless of what it is that I'm feeling, it started in my 18th week as faint, little flutters and then three days ago (after eating a chocolate covered pretzel at work) it progressed into what felt like 3 distinct kicks. I even put my hand under my sweater after the second and I felt something move with my hand. But just now at work I felt a similar sensation in my upper thigh. I’m beginning to think these feelings are the fluttery feeling of fat accumulation. Either that or muscle degradation.

Weight gain
Ill be completely honest- I’m scared to death of gaining too much weight during my pregnancy. My doctor only gave me one piece of advice in the first few visits- “don’t gain to much weight.” It seems to me there isn’t a ton of things to do to prevent the excess pounds, exercise seems to be restricted to low impact aerobics like, swimming and um, walking (does that even count?). And then they say you aren’t supposed to lift heavy things, I’m just crossing my fingers those 10 pound dumbbells at the gym don’t count. So far keeping the weight off hasn’t been a problem, the “pregnancy cravings” haven’t hit and doing an occasional workout has seemed to fit into the schedule so far. Having a personal trainer at work has probably helped too. But then again our baby boy weighs only half a pound and I’ve gained 5. Its probably that chocolate covered pretzel.

Pictures
Just as I wasn’t going to blog every post about pregnancy, I definitely wasn’t going to post pictures of the growing belly. So far I haven’t even taken any (of the posed nature) to post, but I’m thinking tomorrow on the official 20 week mark I may take one. I am thinking I might want to remember what I looked like before the baby completely takes over and changes the way I look (forever).

Pet Peeves
I’m sure my list of pet peeves is going to get a lot longer as pregnancy goes on and people start saying/doing weird things, but for now my biggest pet peeve (I guess you could call it a pet peeve) is people calling pregnancy 10 months. I was always confused by this before I was pregnant but never cared to really look into it. Until now. And I think I figured it out with the help of Wikipedia and lots and lots of calendars and counting.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Prenatal_development.png

First of all, notice what they call “the first two weeks." To include those in your pregnancy is definitely debatable. All I’m going to say about it is this- to include those two weeks would mean that I was pregnant on the first day of my last period...I'm no expert on the matter but I think that's highly unlikely. However, notice in the picture above that even if you keep those first two debatable weeks, 40 weeks hits right at the end of 9 months.
I think people get confused because they think months are 4 weeks or 28 days and so when they are 12 weeks pregnant they divide that by 4 and say they are 3 months. Or at 16 weeks they figure they are 4 months pregnant. No, you’re thinking of February. On average, a month is like 30.42 days, that’s about 2.5 days longer than 28 days. Multiply that by the “10 months you're pregnant” and that’s were you get those extra 25 days you call the 10th month of pregnancy.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I do know two things for sure- 1) the doctors told us our baby was conceived sometime in September and 2) baby is due May 29th. I'm only pregnant for 9 months.

To sum it up
All and all, being pregnant hasn’t been too different from not being pregnant. When I think of all the “pregnancy side effects” they are all symptoms I’ve dealt with my whole life, I guess now I just have an excuse? Examples include the following:
-Pregnancy brain- Forgetfulness has always been a problem/strength (however you look at it) of mine.
-Gas- Nothing new here.
-Fatigue- Sleeping has always been on my top 10 list of favorite things to do.
-Increased Appetite- I have and always will be hungry for more. Always.

10 comments:

Sabrina said...

I bet those really were kicks you felt. They feel fluttery at first and then start to get more distinct. Just wait, when you start feeling them when Trent's around, he'll stop kicking as soon as Trent puts on your stomach to feel them. It always works that way. Also, you are lucky to have only gained 5 lbs. I don't gain anything in the first trimester, but in the second, my body decides to gain everything at once, but that probably has something to do with actually feeling well enough to eat. And, finally, in regards to pregnancy being 10 months, your calculations are much more accurate. However, something that people rarely seem to think about it is that the due date is simply based on an average. There are people who can have a perfectly healthy 42 or 43 week pregnancy, so it can technically stretch into the "10th month". However, few docs these days would let you anyway and I have a pet peeve about inductions. I was born 15 days late and was perfectly fine. Unless there is high risk of something, it is much safer to let your body go into labor naturally. I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. You can chat with my on the phone about that any time :)

The Meyers said...

We're so excited for you! We had no idea! Congratulations to you both. You are going to make wonderful parents.

Tice said...

Congrats on getting that wished-for boy. In my experience, boys are their own strange entity of lego guys, power ranger figures, fake muscle halloween costumes and oodles of energy. I sure do love mine. They've taught me a lot about men. No, seriously. Everything I needed to know about all men I learned from Jackson and Tycen. Good luck with the pregnancy!

Judy said...

I'm perfectly happy learning about your pregnancy. Keep posting. Luv ya!

natalie said...

A gator fan in the making... :)

Chance and Angela Olson said...

Congrats!! That's so exciting! PS--do all those pregnancy pet peves becuase people like me like reading about them! =)

Brenda Chela said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!! You will be a fun and wonderful mommy. I really enjoyed reading this...maybe also because I want a baby sometimes. Haha. I miss you and hopefully we can chat and catch up.

Mariah said...

You're pregnant!!! Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you! And I'm happy that you are having a boy since that is what you want! You will be such a great mom! I am soooo glad that you cleared up that whole 10 months thing. I have always been very skeptical of that "fact" when I've heard it in the past so I'm so happy to know that it's not really true. Thanks for doing the research! I hope that the rest of your pregnancy goes well. The weight gain thing is something that I'm afraid of too (for when I get pregnant I mean).

JAG said...

I love your witty commentary! I'm so happy for you guys!! I need to call you.

Southern Belle said...

You crack me up!! "Gas- nothing new here..." I am laughing out loud! I love it! That's like when I started to feel the baby moving, it totally just felt like gas to me until she started kicking... then I had the feeling that I ate my baby... hahaha. How are you liking the Nordstrom jeans? I am loving mine! THanks for introducing me to that store!! I am ready for another pregnancy update:)