Labels

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Starstruck

Spoiled. Absolutely spoiled. Let me take a quick break from my Summer Part I, II, III to tell you what went down at Beef-O-Brady's tonight. First of all Trent and his buddy, Lane Fowler, got to the restaurant at 4:45, it is very, very important, after all, that they get there in time to get the best seats in the house. Coach Meyer is going to be there for his radio talk show, Gator Hotline, and rummer has it you can get your stuff signed.

An hour and an half later I show up and find them sitting on the front row [or cloud nine, however you want to look at it]. Another hour later, Coach shows up with his two kids and the show begins, Trent can't get over how close he is to Urban.
During the first break Trent goes up to Urban and has the book that he read this summer, Urban's Way, signed.
I follow by getting one of Lane's books signed and the shoulder of some ugly UF shirt that Trent wanted signed. [Peeing our pants right now].
Then some chick with a microphone walks by, and Trent asks her if he can ask Urban a question for the call in show. She says yes. [freaking out with the camera ready to capture him asking the question]
He asked some bogus question about some second stringer making his way to first string.

Show goes on, and there is another break, we ask one of Urban's assistants (who happens to have played basketball with Trent) if we can get a picture with Urban [pushing our luck? maybe], he says sure and Urban obliges. [Picture with Urban? ecstatic]
Then Trent mentions briefly that we are from Utah. I could just about rehearse the rest of our 5 or so minute conversation with him but let me just touch on the basics- He asked us where exactly we were from, what high school Trent went to, If we are LDS, then he went on and on about how much he loved Utah and the people and how he got to go to General Conference a couple times and sit at the very front with Orin Hatch... then we told him about when we met Joseph B. Wirthlin about three years ago at church and we told him that Trent wants to go to Dental school at the University of Florida and he told us that when we go to Florida to tell Urban that he said Hi... Coach thought that was really neat, especially since his good friend Elder Wirthlin has since passed away... I told him how when that happened we laughed about how we never thought we would actually get the opportunity to pass on the "Hi" for Elder Wirthlin, but we were happy to be wrong about that. [over the giddiness, now we are just having a relaxed conversation] Urban asked us what our name was and told us that it was really good to meet us. What did we say in return? Nothing, absolutely nothing. We looked him in the eye as we shook his hand and just smiled in a star-stricken gaze trying to figure out if this was really happening... After all it is kinda similar to this reoccurring dream that Trent has been having... haha

12 comments:

The Meyers said...

Erinn says "Awesome!"
Dave says "Amelia, don't go to the dark side!"

Really cool!!!!!!

Southern Belle said...

Oh my gosh that is so awesome!! I wish I was there so bad! Trent had a dream about that, that is so funny! I at least wish I was watching you guys, that would have been fun:) That is a really cool story.

Sabrina said...

I can't believe your luck and that you got to pass on Elder Wirthlin's "hi". It's a very awesome story.

Judy said...

This is a great story that is worth passing on!

Brittany said...

That is awesome, guys! I can't wait to tell my dad. He's a big gator fan.

Karen said...

That is such an awsome story...you and Trent are going to have a great four more years...I'm so glad Trent's dream has come true in so many ways!

Kim said...

i love this story! so awesome! can't wait to hear more about it over a nice Sonny's dinner! ;D

Kim said...

by the way, I don't think it's a coincidence that you just happened to meet one of the 12 apostles of the Lord on the earth who told you to "say hi" to Urban Meyer if you ever, coincidentally, ran into him...and then you just happened to do so three years later...that's just too crazy!

Brittany said...

I TOTALLY listened to Trent's question on the radio! I was like, hey I know a Trent.... I bet that's him! SWEET! That is an awesome story!

JAG said...

How exciting for you guys!!

Charakie said...

Trent! It's just like you're twelve again...some things never change. Love that you are still as intense about sports as you were the day I met you. Joel would be so proud :) P.S. My husband is applying to the University of Florida for a PhD program...we may be neighbors again next fall! Go Gators!

Brittany said...

I KNOW! She started smiling about 2 weeks ago, and she really responds when you smile really big at her. Sometimes she is corky and smiles when you are changing her diaper! :)