Labels

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

23 going on 15

How does this work?

In high school people often told me I looked older than I was. Now that I am older, people often tell me that I look younger than I am. You would think this was a fantastic scenario, but no. Not when you are married and people think you are sixteen (I'm pretty sure that is illegal in the state of Florida, even if I was granted parental consent). And it's especially humiliating when you are visibly pregnant. Trent and I get it all the time. The card scanner at the gym, the hostess at the restaurant, the random stranger in the grocery store. You blame it on my young looking sidekick? Nope, I get it at work all the time too, and they've never see my 17-year-old husband. It happened again today. The lady in charge of payroll came up to me and whispered "I told Marsha (my boss) that you look like you might be pregnant, she informed me that you are indeed pregnant. I was like- Isn't she in high school!? Marsha told me that you're not, and that you're married." wow. Do they think they are paying me a compliment? I might be quietly chuckling with you on the outside but on the inside I am screaming "I have a college degree, I've been out of high school for 6 years, I'm married, I'm 23 and a half..."

Some sort of explanation is needed. Is it really possible for me to stop aging at 20 and then start "younging" (my made up antonym for aging) and if so, how long is this going to last or what can I do to stop it? You would think getting pregnant would do the trick. Nope, the pregnancy pimples have me headed more in the direction of middle school.

Then

Now (pre pregnancy)

Wear more make up? Encircle myself with older looking people? Dress in less? Lose the weight that appears to have gone straight to my face?

Or maybe I should just embrace the 16-year-old-married-pregnant-person that I appear to be. Now that's a thought.

8 comments:

Southern Belle said...

yeah you are pretty popular if you are a pregnant teenager these days, I seem to see shows about it all the time on tv... so just embrace it! Haha, I never knew people thought you guys were younger, that is really weird, you look your age to me! At least you two don't teach high school, that is one place you really don't want to look the age of the students! When Jeff and I were coaching a junior high basketball team when we were still in college, I was on the bus with the girls waiting for Jeff to meet us and I told the bus driver, it'll be about 5 more minutes I just have to wait for my husband, and she was like, "Husband?! I thought you were one of the girls!" I was the same as you "hahahah" on the outside and "you idiot!" on the inside!!! :)

Southern Belle said...

P.S. I forgot to mention the ONLY reason Jeff has a goatee is so people at the school know he is a teacher and not a student! He has had many people including his own assistant principal one time mistake him for a student! I always got asked for a hall pass when I taught at Kearns...

Karen said...

Don't complain, enjoy it while you can! One day you will wonder, where did all these wrinkles come from, I thought I would always be young looking! People use to tell me the same thing, but not lately!! Boo HOO!

Brittany said...

I'm with your mom. Soak it up. You're so cute, Amelia.

Brittany said...

I will never get used to it. SO annoying right?!! I thought the belly would help too but when people looked at me I knew they thought... poor 16 yr old. What did she get herself into? And then I make sure to wave my ring in front of their face so they know I'm married. And yes... college grad too! People are so judgmental. Then they say, when you are older it will be nice to look young. Maybe... we'll see :)

Kirs:) said...

Embrace it while you can!!!
Your mom is spot on, one day you will look in the mirror and wish you looked 16 again:):)
And I don't think I said it before:
congratulations on the baby!!! I am so thrilled for you and Trent:):)

Amanda said...

Haha Amelia, just wait til you're further along and have gained 40 more lbs...that's when people stopped telling me I looked 16. And I have not been told that since...you will actually start looking old one day. haha I am such a mean sister, you aren't going to gain 40 more lbs, don't worry!

Brenda Chela said...

Hahaha. Love it! You look adorable to me. :) I think maybe your longer hair makes you look younger too. But I agree with everyone else, EMBRACE IT! :)