Labels

Monday, December 1, 2008

The Price of Applying

The whole dental school application process has turned out to be quite the pricey experience. We knew it would be expensive for tuition but who would have thought it would cost so much just to apply/interview.

DAT Prep Materials
Crack DAT PAT: 200.00
DAT achiever: 50.00
BYU prep course: 350.00
Extra text books: 20.00

DAT
To sit for exam: 190.00
Send scores: 325.00

Application
AADSAS fee: 1,095.00

Supplementary Applications
Tufts: 60.00
Virgina Commonwealth: 70.00
Arizona: 60.00
Loma Linda: 75.00
Nova: 50.00
UNLV: 50.00
Case Western: 45.00
Midwestern: 50.00
South Carolina: 70.00
North Carolina: 78.00
Louisville: 50.00
Florida: 30.00
Kentucky: 70.00
Maryland: 70.00
Meharry: 60.00

Interviews
(Flights+Car rentals+Hotels)
UF/Midwestern trip: 1235.00
Arizona, UNC, VCU trip: 1369.00
Nova trip: 421.00
Louisville, UNLV trip: 432.00
Meharry: 420.00

Grand total
6995.00

At least we now know its over. Trent got accepted to Louisville, Florida, Meharry, Nova, and VCU this morning! Ironically, just a few minutes ago I got a call from UF admissions (in response to the voice message I left two weeks ago) about the residency situation that we have been trying to figure out for the past month, and they informed us that Trent is now an official Florida resident!
Jeff Demps, Trent's favorite Florida football playerI found this picture of the UF toothbrush when doing a google image search for "Jeff Demps UF football". If anyone can find this toothbrush for sale, please let me know. I need it.

13 comments:

JAG said...

Wow. That's insanely expensive!
But before you know it, you'll be rolling in the big bucks!!
I'll keep my eye out for that toothbrush! ;)

The Smith's Fridge Door said...

Wow!! That's what we have to look forward to when Michael starts applying to Architecture Grad School this month!!! Congrats to Trent on getting in to so many schools!!! When are you guys making a decision, or have you already decided on Florida?

Kim said...

sooo exciting!!! I just left you a crazy voice mail; (hehe...sorry about that!) I'm just really excited for you guys!

Kirs:) said...

CONGRATS!!!
I feel for you when with all the costs you are incurring. Kate is leaving again for BYU and the dollar signs are beginning to swirl around my brain!
Did you decide to accept Florida? It would be great to have you close by again, it is only two hours from Tampa and you are ALWAYS welcomed at our home! :)

natalie said...

Yea!! We're so excited for you two! Congratulations Trent!

Amelia said...

@Ali- Thanks girl, but don't waste too much time looking for that dang toothbrush :) The one I found was nearly 6 dollars, plus shipping! I suppose Trent doesn't need it 6 dollars bad.

@Jayna- Thanks! how exciting to find out about Architecture school next month, good luck with that! And yes- hands down Florida.

@Kim, Kirsten, and Natalie- Thanks so much for all the nice comments! We are so excited about being down there closer to you all!

Unknown said...

Congrats! My brother also was applying and got into 2 schools and is on the calling list for 2 more! So will we be seeing you here in Gainesville?

Brittany said...

That is strange... for some reason that comment was posted by "alan". Weird. Anyway, that was my brother I was talking about...congrats again!

Brittany said...

We're glad to help. We know a lot of people who had siblings/parents/friends who gave them advice, and we wish we had some! But everything worked out. We looked at renting and getting into the student housing, but eventually decided we'd rather get our money back in 4 years by owning. But it is pricy. You have home insurance, property taxes, internet, cable, electric.... And living on campus saves you gas money. Alan takes the bus which saves us money, but he's on the route for over an hr a day. There are pros and cons. If you can afford it, it is nice to have a house of your own, but that is also something you can do after dental school. I won't be working for much longer, so $ will get tight. That's why he's applying to the navy, to hopefully make things nicer on the bank accounts! Anyway, we are excited for you two! It's such a relief to be accepted and KNOW what you'll be doing.

Brittany said...

It's me, Brittany L. I'm so excited for you guys. I know you have to just be so proud of Trent. Amanda's really going to feel the heat now that she'll be the only non-floridian. Not to rub it in Amanda:)

The Tabot Fam said...

WAHOO!!!!! That's awesome! I assume you'll be making Thanksgiving next year? =]

Karen said...

Hey, this is your mother...I have not had a chance to comment on your exciting news. (Been having too much fun with the grandchildren!!) We are so proud of you and Trent! I say you,too, because I know you worked hard to make this dream possible for Trent. Together you two make a great team. Can't wait to have my baby back in Florida. Thank you Trent!!!! Go Gators...SEC Champs!!!

Amanda said...

Congrats Trent and Amelia! Even though I talk to you on the phone, I feel like a bad sister if I don't comment on the blog, hehe!! Love you! I am currently working on Ryker...I want to be a Floridian again too!